Leg pain can be due to a muscle cramp, Common causes of cramps include: Dehydration or low amounts of potassium, sodium, calcium, or magnesium in the blood. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003182.htm
Magnesium is a nutrient that the body needs to stay healthy. Magnesium is important for many processes in the body, including regulating muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure and making protein, bone, and DNA. Forms of magnesium in dietary supplements that are more easily absorbed by the body are magnesium aspartate, magnesium citrate, magnesium lactate, and magnesium chloride.
Magnesium is a type of electrolyte. Electrolytes are electrically charged minerals that are responsible for many important functions and processes in the body. The body needs magnesium to help muscles, nerves, and heart work properly. https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/magnesium-blood-test/
Early signs of magnesium deficiency includes fatigue and weakness. As magnesium deficiency worsens, numbness, tingling, muscle contractions and cramps may occur. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/
Potassium is the third most abundant mineral in the body. It helps the body regulate fluid, send nerve signals and regulate muscle contractions. Roughly 98% of the potassium in your body is found in your cells. Of this, 80% is found in muscle cells, while the other 20% can be found in bones, liver and red blood cells. Inside the body, it functions as an electrolyte. The body uses this electricity to manage a variety of processes, including fluid balance, nerve signals and muscle contractions. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4131448/
Potassium is a mineral that your body needs to work properly. It is a type of electrolyte. It helps your nerves to function and muscles to contract. It helps your heartbeat stay regular. It also helps move nutrients into cells and waste products out of cells. A diet rich in potassium helps to offset some of sodium’s harmful effects on blood pressure. https://medlineplus.gov/potassium.html
The body uses this electricity to manage a variety of processes, including fluid balance, nerve signals and muscle contractions. Therefore, a low amount of electrolytes in the body can affect many crucial functions. Low potassium (hypokalemia) refers to a lower than normal potassium level in your bloodstream. Potassium helps carry electrical signals to cells in your body. It is critical to the proper functioning of nerve and muscles cells, particularly heart muscle cells. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/
Symptoms of hypokalemia include constipation, tiredness, muscle weakness, and not feeling well. More severe hypokalemia can cause increased urination, decreased brain function, high blood sugar levels, muscle paralysis, difficulty breathing, and irregular heartbeat. Severe hypokalemia can be life threatening. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Potassium-Consumer/
The body is approximately 60% water. 40% of this water is found inside your cells in a substance called intracellular fluid (ICF).The remainder is found outside your cells in areas such as your blood, spinal fluid and between cells. This fluid is called extracellular fluid (ECF). Potassium is the main electrolyte in the ICF, and it determines the amount of water inside the cells. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/
- Adams JG. Potassium. In: Emergency Medicine: Clinical Essentials. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 5, 2017.
- Hypokalemia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/electrolyte_disorders/hypokalemia.html. Accessed April 5, 2017.
- Mount DB, et al. Causes of hypokalemia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 5, 2017.
- Mount DB, et al. Clinical manifestations and treatment of hypokalemia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 5, 2017.
- Potassium, serum. Mayo Medical Laboratories. http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/test-catalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/81390. Accessed April 28, 2017.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This product has not been evaluated by the FDA. It is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.